Potato Crafters' Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arc V: Owls All The Way Down

4 posters

Go down

Arc V: Owls All The Way Down Empty Arc V: Owls All The Way Down

Post by FCVinyl Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:30 pm

The galaxy is vast, but so are its empires.

The year is 2702, almost seven centuries since the first terran FTL drive. A lot's changed, but a lot hasn't.

There's an unsteady peace in the galaxy as its denizens recover from the last wars just a century ago and the Strigiforme beast slumbers.

It is an age of exploration and exploitation, if the peace holds.

In the interest of this, the Dominion has, with the cooperation of most powers, established the Beta Aquil Accords. The accords put limitations on the military capabilities of nations, namely the total prohibition of planetoid-destroying weapons and new starships exceeding 5km.
Welcome back, Commander.
Application Process:

Last edited by FCVinyl on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:56 am; edited 7 times in total
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

http://fc-mod.com

Back to top Go down

Arc V: Owls All The Way Down Empty Re: Arc V: Owls All The Way Down

Post by FCVinyl Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:30 pm

The Hexalani Empire, or Hexalan as is the colloquialism, was a rogue corporate project back in the 2070's. Genetically modified humans grown aboard converted cargo transports on a long-burn FTL trip to a promising world. However, complications with the drives resulted in a procession of mis-jumps, leaving them stranded among the dying worlds of the outer rim. It wasn't long before the clans fought bloody wars over the few resources of their world, and sought new ones. It wasn't until the 2400's that one of the clans would rise above the others, establishing the empire that persists today, and Hexalani would make contact with other nations in the galaxy.

Hexalani culture is deeply rooted in honour and loyalty, which are the foundation of the clans. Descending from the desert hell-scape of their 'homeworld', much of their traditional styles reflect this, excepting those from the actually rather quite similar frozen wastelands of Kaseka. There is a great divide between those residing within the core and early colonial bands and the outer colonial and frontier bands, to the extent that they barely share a language. However, the connecting thread between all clans, core or fringe, is a great martial esteem (and in some cases fixation), which has resulted in their extremely dangerous standing military. However, their main fighting force is typically conscripts, whose quality quickly diminishes over time, turning most battles into bloody meat grinders rapidly. The Hexalani can maintain heavy losses for longer than most nations however, thoroughly using their dense population and tapping into their values to galvanize rather than crumble their resolve. A good leader should keep in mind that while Hexalan and its peoples may be formidable, the Strigiforme are still far more terrifying.

Imperial Flag:

Imperial Banner:

Last edited by FCVinyl on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Recently founded from loyal remnants of the shattered Terran Union, the Dominion has taken up their mantle. They make up for their size with their bite, hitting hard and swiftly. Among other things, the Dominion has a distaste for other remnants of the Union, seeing them as pretenders.
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayvahn Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 pm

The planet of Macai is inhabited by a relatively small, fur-bearing species of highly psionic sapients known to the galactic community simply as "Macaians" - a name they adopted as their language had previously lacked a term to refer to their own species in contrast to other sapients.
When Macaians discovered FTL-drives in the 2400s, humans had already split off into various groups throughout the galaxy, with their own politics. The Macaian Empress decided to start an extensive interstellar colonization oroject in an effort to catch up. Politically, Macai has economically and militarily supported the Hexalani Empire, which had just been founded at the time - a policy that has been upheld throughout the centuries.

About a century after entering the glactic stage, Macai's oldest colonies demanded some autonomy. Eventually, a consensus was reached where the the Empire was split into two sectors, the Macaian and the Qanovian (named after the Empire's oldest colony whihc would become the capital) sectors, which have their own authority on most legislative matters as well as their own civilian executive. While over time, the Empire was split into ever more sectors, the new name it got during the initial split, "Empire of Macai and Qanov", or "Macaian-Qanovian Empire" stuck and is still in use today, though "Macai" or "MQE" are most often used outside of official documents.

Psionics play a central role in Macaian culture, even more so after they learned that psionic abilities are not that common throughout the universe.
To other species, a conversation with a Macaian may be quite awkward, as Macaians have practically no body language whatsoever - among one another they communicate their emotions psychically, so they don't really have a need for it.
A lot of Macaian sports require psionics to be played properly, ranging from team-based competitions of psionic power to stuff like unarmed hunting (an old tradition linked to the fact that Macaians evolved from carnivores) - often whille blindfolded, to sharpen their psychic senses as opposed to relying on their physical ones.

MQE location:

Ayvahn

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:31 pm

MQE accepted, OP map updated.
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CMDR_Error Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:28 am

The Federal Republic of Novus is a relatively small group of post-humans centered in the Outer Arm. Known generally as "Novus", their capital world was settled by northern-hemisphere settlers from Earth/Terra in 2142. A benevolent oligarchy, outsiders have oft described them as paranoid or isolationist.

Maintaining a small but well-trained standing military, primarily in space, the Novyr nonetheless consider science, philosophy, and sprititualism worth pursuits for any and all.

With a culture revolving around "Knowing is half the battle," Novyr tend towards subtlety and, oftentimes, manipulation. It is something of a rite of passage to con someone (generally in one's family) into doing something they normally wouldn't. While this does foster some distrust, it actually serves to strengthen bonds.

While having a slightly higher rate of psionics than standard humans, the Novyr don't consider it particularly important. Most (in fact all) Novyr have been modified for cold climates and low-to-mid gravity environments. Extensive cybernetics are also popular; a number of groups lie solely in space, in cybernetic or gene-modded bodies adpated specifically for zero-g.

Controlled Space
Spoiler:

Flag
Spoiler:
CMDR_Error
CMDR_Error

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:24 am

Novus accepted, OP map updated.
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 am

Long ago the most powerful nation in the galaxy, and further back yet one of the only space-faring nations, the Strigiforme Empire is now a divided, bureaucratic morass where everyone is equal, except the ones who are more- and not as equal than the others. Nearly all of their current advanced technology is centuries-old, having barely the capability to produce replacement parts. Despite this, their shields and weapons are far more powerful than any others in the galaxy. Their extreme isolationism and inability to organize nationally are the only things keeping the galaxy safe.

Competing fiercely with the Dominion, the Orion Imperium is the other major claimant to the mantle of the Terran Union. The Imperium could and would wipe the Dominion off the face of the galaxy if severe military repercussions from the galactic community weren't to follow swiftly.

Sitting distant on the galactic edge, the Dark Star Corporation was a defense contractor for the Terran Union, developing advanced technologies for infiltration and surveillance. With the Union gone, DSC now sells its highly sought-after and elusive technologies to the highest bidder.

OP map updated.
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:29 pm

The lights shifted to red as the speaker squawked "Subspace rupture detected." Scrambling for the hailer, the lieutenant waited with bated breath for the unscheduled vessel to appear.

When it didn't, he cursed the station's aging detection package. Snaking his way through the cramped maintenance corridors, he withdrew the fragile data tapes from their compartment.

Popping the tapes into the console, he scoured their logs for the tell-tale signs of sensor malfunction.

There weren't any. Definitely, definitely not a good thing.

Fulfilling his duty, Lt. Konriik Hunraal opened up the frequencies, "BORCOM, this is outpost 12C-30.1, we have a possible breach of western perimeter."

"Sit tight 12C-30.1, we've got a patrol en route."

---

"Alright, what the hell Lieutenant, we aren't even picking up anything on the long range."

"Reading you loud and clear, Banquette of Stress. At approximately 13:02, subspace sensors detected an inbound rupture, which dissipated... 38 seconds later. Sensors didn't detect any vessels and no visual contact could be established. No response to hails. And, yes, I checked, sensors are functioning normally."

---

"This is... troubling," he said as the holographic playback concluded.

"We're currently investigating our leads, but-"

"Yes, yes, I'm aware, Captain. I'll get approval for your little 'excursion'. But know that if your men are caught, we won't be able to do anything for them."

The Captain saluted as his projection evaported into the air before the grand, wooden desk.

Turning to face the view of the stars, Admiral Ewalüd sipped his tea. Very troubling indeed.

Later that day, the crew of the HSV Eternal Midnight would be permitted leave.

"Ready for this, Konriik- I mean, Jakob," the Commander said, nudging him in the arm. The forged ID stick almost didn't feel real in his hands.

"Yeah," replied the mere lieutenant as he followed his superior aboard the shuttle to the transport bound for the Federal Republic.
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CMDR_Error Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Subcommander Lance Tyrell shook his head and adjusted himself in his seat as the NVS Night Specter dropped out of hyperspace. Blinking, he focused on his sensor panel, checking their surroundings.

"Scopes clear. No ships detected." he reported across the tiny bridge. Changing settings, he began flipping throuh sensor arrays, testing their readiness.

"Weapons cold and safe." the PWO reported; the helm signalled they were on-course as the XO indicated all stations reported as normal.

"Alright. Helm, fire cold-gas thrusters to put us on planned course. Sensors, bring Array Four online and hit that surface installation. Make it look like a civvie resource probe."

"Aye, sir." Tyrell responded as he did just that; altering their sensor output to match that of a civilian mining/prospecting probe.

Nearly half an hour passed before he saw it; a silhouette too regular to be surface features. "Target located, sir. Warbook says it matches. Position is as predicted. Apparently under EMCON, sir. AA/AS defenses seem active but on standby."

"Very good. Launch strike package." the Commander ordered; a few moments later, a dull thump-thump-thump reverberated through the hull as the pair of fighters and dropship fell away.

- - -

The two Lucifer AeroSpace Fighters and single Iapetus-class dropship descended, surrounded by small dust clouds and a hail of rocks - launched by Night Specter alongside the craft - approaching their target.

Once below the observed sensor horizon of the enemy facility, the three ships relit their drives and pulled up; levelling out near the ground, they rocketed along over the trees and hills, sticking to low ground as they approached.

Popping up suddenly over the final ridge, the two Lucifers split apart and began firing; missiles dropped from wing hardpoints as guns spat streams of particle or laser fire. Fully half the defensive guns were slagged before the remainder began to respond; only two of the ten originals managed to get any shots off, harmlessly missing or bounding off armour.

The dropship braked, slowing to a near-halt; troopers descended from its hatches, falling on thruster packs towards the facility below. A mere ten minutes passed, the fighters circling and dropship hovering, before they emerged; two people joining them, handcuffed and with black bags over their heads.

- - -

"Targets verified and retrieved. Strike package on return route." Tyrell reported.

"Weapons, bring all batteries to hot active and target the surface facility. Anti-bunker barrage as soon as our ships are clear." Commander Kyler ordered, sipping coffee.

"Aye, sir. Friendlies clear of the area of effect. Guns firing."

Long streams of charged plasma leapt from their barrels, descending; several missiles joined the streams, falling behind as the plasma tore through the atmosphere and splashed over the target, melting buildings and detonating fuel and munitions lockers. The missiles caught up, plunging into the ground; detonating below, within the protected bunkers, leaving them collapsed and afire.

"Ready for hyperspace entry, Commander."

"Sound transit alarm and engage hyperdrive."

Novyr VoidShip Night Specter vanished into the blue aether in a flash of light.

Last edited by CMDR_Error on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
CMDR_Error
CMDR_Error

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:10 pm

"There's a belter clinic out around... here," he explained, gesturing at a miniature holomap of a nearby system, "they'll help us blend in." I replied with a quick nod.

As we strolled along the starport, a shuttle came in. "That's our ride, c'mon."

---

A backwater planet in the colonial band

At first I thought that it was just those damned hooligans making a ruckus again. Approaching the window to give those bastards on the street below a piece of my mind, I was instead met with a terrible sight; officers were dragging people - people like Ms. Kaathran from the block across - kicking and screaming into a shipping container. One managed to break free, only to be swiftly cut down.

So I did the only thing I could: I packed my things and ran. I went out the back way and ran all to the rye fields off east, where I hid. It was only a matter of time before they'd've found me in my home, here I was safe. At least, safe for long enough to come up with a plan. Hopefully.

I was brought out of my thoughts as a lifter streaked across the sky, screaming towards the village. Looked to be industrial, the kind you'd see with a freighter. I grabbed firm hold of my case and decided to head for the next village over, I was pretty sure they had a shuttle there. To avoid being spotted, I kept low, moving through the towering grain at an agonizing pace.

Eventually I made my way to the edge of the field. Peering through the stalks, I made a quick survey; I didn't spot any officers, so I crept out and tried to act casual. I got to the plaza before I noticed that there was hardly anyone around. They'd been visited too.

Strolling around, I finally came upon an old model of grain transport. I didn't have to break into their home to grab the starter and registry, their front door was already busted open.

But... once I broke atmosphere, the battle group in orbit hailed me: "Prepare to be boarded."

---

Orion Imperium newscast

"We are getting confirmation that the Imperial Legislature has indeed passed I-142 with 92 to 25. This amendment to the International Trade Act will utterly prohibit imports from all non-terran territories. However, the definition of 'terran' is still pending. We now take you to Janet with galactic news, Janet?"

"Thanks Tom, terror attacks only continue as ultra-nationalist groups from former Union territories grow. We now take you to our live correspondent at the site of one of these attacks in the Dominion...."
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayvahn Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:37 am

MQE News Broadcat:
"The Empress has just finished a press conference in which she called the new Orion Trade Act an 'embargo without any justification' and has once again condemned the Orion Imperium's continuing xenophobic policies. The Empress has called upon the Imperial Council to authorize funding for further naval expansion and announced plans to strenghten military ties to Hexalan and the Dominion. Now to Janek, our correspondent in the capital."

"Thank you, Quim. Empress Jistri IV said she wants a stronger military to prepare for possible military agression from the Orion Imperium, and while the navy is the focus of this initiative, the Empress has appealed to our long-time ally, Hexalan, to station ground troops on our planets. While many see this as a significant threat to Macaian sovereignty, others see it as neccessary, as we simply cannot compete with humans in conventional ground warfare due to their large size. Hexalan is expected to side with Macai on this issue, as they are likely to be affected by the Orion embargo as well."

Ayvahn

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:26 pm

"Early this morning on the Imperial clock, the Lord of Admirals will be making a public response to the Macaian request. We now take you into the Imperial Palace..."

Deafening cheers and applause resound as the ostensible admiral walks out to the podium. "The Orion Imperials... do not respect us, they do not respect Macaians, they do not respect anyone, even each other. [...] Proving themselves full of hate, being democratically capable of passing blatantly xenophobic legislation, we must ensure the security of our allies and ourselves, and for that reason, I am approving redeployment of our ground forces to Macai."

"Sorry, we're getting this just in," another newscaster says as the video cuts to a shot of the Imperial Legislature, "In record time, the Orion Imperium has made a ruling on the legal definition of 'terran', which does exclude Hexalani and Novans."
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CMDR_Error Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Given the recent embargo and previously chilly relations between Novus and the Orion Imperium, the Federal Republic of Novus has issued a decree statin Imperium citizens are barred from entry into Novan territory in any capacity; trade is halted, and all Imperial assets within the F.R.N. have been frozen or seized.
CMDR_Error
CMDR_Error

Back to top Go down

Post by The Paladin Gamer Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:57 pm

It is said in the beginning, life sprang forth on Lbi'krana Krêbi. By the power of the great God, Glima naGôl, and the hosts of Têlŋu that life was seeded among the seven Elder Worlds and connected by the gates of the Têlŋu. It was here, near the core of the galaxy, that a form of life foreign to those of Earth rose to sentience; not of Animalia, but of Plantae that the race of the Gulŋur are. Parasitic plants hailing from temperate forests dense with flora, vines of an elder race who live for more life times of man than can be remembered. Insectoids and other large fauna of Krêbi and the six inhabit the wild trees, their races existing in a state of eternal religious warfare. Having never developed technologically beyond the Terran European Dark Ages, the woodlands and jungles of the home worlds have been ravaged. Until the Gulŋur encountered another form of life, life from beyond the stars. Men* came down from the sky unto the unsuspecting locals. Sharing no communication methods, the humans may have never discovered the other race on their new world. But the Gulŋur, being a zealous people, launching an armed assault against the invaders from above after the malicious slaughter of their kind. It was thus that they gained the technology of the hume and reverse engineered it to use against them. Briefly unified by the combined effort, the Gulŋur purged their home of all but a few humans, who now live in willing submission to the elder race and continue to further their technological innovation.

Maintaining unity in such a deeply divided nation is not easy though. With the discovery of intellect among the Animalia kingdom, and the concept of 'pain', arguments on the morality of living off sentient hosts have been raised as well as how the shaky alliances formed after the war should be used. Factions among the Gulŋur states have begun to rise in power, all the while religious tensions spread throughout their vast and new territories. With so many radically different, and equally zealous, religious and political campaigns stirring in the Gulŋur Confederate Empire, there are whispers of civil war. Neuvzi rov naSôlbu (or Nasoolba*) hangs on a thread as its people threaten to destroy everything they have built. The old Kritarchy is breaking down as they now struggle maintain the confederacy, for even the Elder Beings (the oldest Gulŋur being 20,000+ years old) cannot overcome their uncompromising beliefs with the prosperity of peace. Soon, the seven suns shall once again be at war, and nothing will stop them this time.

The Neuvzi rov naSôlbu, the Union of the People, is comprised of four main races: The Têlŋu (or Telnu), are a race of space faring energy beings who live among the stars; The Gulŋur (or Gulnger), are parasitic plants that survive on meat-bound or cybernetic hosts; The Hume minority, referred to by themselves as Dêke Melŋa. They live peacefully as a well-treated inferior class; Then there are the Elzilê (or Elzele), an inferior insect drone race ruled by their Queens, they are the Gulŋur's main source of hosts.
*Historians believe them to have been colonists from the Terran Union, attempting to settle the area that is today the Dominion.
*Misnomer.

Biology:

Government:

Military:

Flag:

Last edited by The Paladin Gamer on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Cleaned up)
The Paladin Gamer
The Paladin Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by FCVinyl Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:56 am

Nasoolba accepted and OP map updated.
FCVinyl
FCVinyl
Admin

Back to top Go down